Sunday, November 13, 2011

New Yarn Hair Extension Shtuff.

The other day i was surfing online from my phone and got back onto my dreadlocks kick.  Now, my friend Rachel and I have been wanting to buy dread extensions  for a while but have not been able to due to funds and parental restrictions.  i was looking online for some dread ideas and stumbled across how to make your own synthetic dreads out of wool roving.  I thought that was interesting so i read/watched around 10 tutorials and decided i would love to try it.  Next logic step to me was to search for wool roving availability and pricing.  apparently Walmart has some on their online site and some fabric stores carry it.  a package ranges from $14 (the cheapest i saw) up to any amount depending on dyes and amounts.  since wool roving is not immediately accessible to me i decided to go with a subtler and cheaper method of adding flair to my hair.
i saw a tutorial of a woman putting yarn extensions into a child's hair.  i thought this looked pretty fun and easy so i ran to the local dollar store and bought 5 (rolls?) of yarn.  I started with a small chunk of hair located just above and in front of my right ear. (this is my favorite part of my hair)  I started braiding these two long pieces of yarn into my hair (folded in half they turn into 4 pieces) and ended with a yarn dread/braid thing two inches longer than my actual hair length.  for my first try it looked pretty cool.  i continued to do 3 more braids on various parts of hair and kept them in for 3 days. they were really cool having but were difficult to maintain with only 4 of them.  there was a need to brush and wash my hair but it was difficult going around each of the braids.  This brought me to the conclusion that either the whole head should be braided/dreaded or maybe like one braid....
i really liked this look so i thought of a way to make temporary braids that can be put in and taken out every night before bed so i didnt have to worry about them getting damaged and whatnot.
contrary to the crapiness of the picture they did turn out fairly well.  i have a green pair in my hair right now that ive had in since 9 this morning. theyre really easy to tie in because they have a top pair of strings that allows me to braid them in without incorporating the actually braids (i believe this looks better)
i made a few for my friends and i waiting to see how well they like them. who knows maybe ill create a fad at my school? :p
no probably not.  but my main goal now is to find roving and eventually achieve a look that resembles the following picture.
i think that is sososososo pretty :) if not in white then in some other natural colors would be acceptable. (maybe a few fun colors for flair)

so for now i will have to deal with relatively short hair and longish yarn braid extensions. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment